Well, this is not a Scottish shortbread, more Italian . Hazelnuts paired with another citrus.( I have left over HAZELNUT meal from my Nutella pound cake.) This time -lemon. This classic combo I also adore. The tart lemon, and buttery nuttiness. Sandy, light, a bit salty. The original recipe is all olive oil. I did add butter because I wanted to press then into shapes. I was afraid oil alone would not be enough. I also added all the lemon juice into the cookie.vs using it as a glaze with powdered sugar. I bet this would have add another layer to the cookie, as well as sharpening up the beauty factor. They r surprisingly delicious. A nice rainy day, hot tea and these :)
Hazelnut & Olive Oil Shortbread
Adapted from : From: ArcaMax Publishing's "Variety Menu," by Faith Durand (2/12/2012)
(Faith Durand is managing editor of TheKitchn.com, a nationally known blog for people who love food & home cooking.)
1 1/4 cup hazelnut meal
3/4 cup A-P flour ( I used wheat because it was all I had )
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 lemon, zested
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4cup extra-virgin light olive oil
1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Heat the oven to 375ºF.
- Cream butter with brown sugar, powdered sugar - until light
- Stream in olive oil and continue to blend until mixed.
- Add lemon zest, and juice, vanilla - mix until blended
- Whisk together the hazelnut meal, flour, salt .
- Mix dry into wet oil, until dough pulls together off sides of bowl. The dough will be sandy & quite crumbly
- Roll the dough out onto parchment paper- approx-1/4-1/2 inch thickness. I think thicker is better because how crumbly the dough is.
- Cut with cookie cutter or hand cut into shapes. ( I used a simple large cutter. Anything too intricate will break when placing.)
- Sprinkle with Demara sugar ( optional) or glaze with lemon juice and powdered sugar- after baking
- Bake for approx 7 minutes/ -on parchment paper- or until edges are light brown.
- I will cut them a bit thicker. Shortbread should be FAT!
- I will make the lemon glaze :)
- I'll have white flour ..LOL
- MAYBE I'll actually find my camera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
black and white