Monday, December 12, 2011

Food Blogger Cookie Swap 2011-Pink Peppercorn and Strawberry Shortbread



 Thanks for participating in the 1st Annual Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap, hosted by Lindsay of Love & Olive Oil and Julie of The Little Kitchen!


I found this recipe last month in an old magazine hanging @ my work. I thought ..WOW .. I have to try these. I was curious about the jam added to the dough?? and though they would be hard to work with and sticky. I was pleasantly surprised.....

rolled cut sprinkled with sugar

Recipe: ( Better Homes and Gardens 2009)

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
1/4 cup strawberry preserves
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pink peppercorns ( I used 1 teaspoon for increased heat )
2 2/3 cups all purpose flour

Coarse decorating sugar-optional 
Icing-optional

 Icing: 
2 cups powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla


Instructions: 

Pre- Heat oven to 300 degrees F .
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper

Beat butter until smooth  with a stand or hand mixer.
Add granulated sugar, perserves, vanilla, peppercorns  . Beat  all until well combined.
Sift flour and salt. 
Beat in flour mixture to butter mix. Beat until well combined. 
Bring dough together into ball and roll into plastic wrap. Flatten as a disk and chill for at least 30 mins. 


Remove dough and roll out into desired shapes with cutters, or by hand. 

Sprinkle with coarse sugar and bake. OR Bake and spread icing on cookies OR cut as I did below for a modified " Linzer cookie" and sandwich  with Strawberry Jam.
.


rolled /cut  for "Sandwich style:"

modified Linzer style

These cookies have an amazing kick of sweet heat from the pink peppercorns. I liked them best with the extra jam. They have that " shortbread" texture- buttery and crumbly, with a crisp yet soft bite. The dough is super easy to handle and rolls perfect for all cutout shapes, with almost no spreading or puffing. No sticking or extra flour needed.

I doubt they would appeal to kids, but this is how I like my cookies. Classic with an unexpected twist.

I will make these again and again, changing the jam and mixing in different spices. I hope u will try these and make new combination of flavors.

I rec'd my 3 dozen beautiful cookies from :
Biking before bed , Lindsey  - Nutty Buddy Bars 
My Life...An Adventure- Alison  - Behn's Molasses Cookies

Check out the AB FAB blogs from some very fantastic ladies :)

 

I cant wait for next year :)

3 comments:

  1. Glad you got the cookies! Those Pink Peppercorn ones look amazingly unique - I'll have to try them!

    Have a great week getting ready for the holidays! Merry Christmas!
    www.rdrwr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this unexpected twist! Love that the envelope was pushed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohmygish, these look sooo good :) Can I have one? Or two? Wishing you a very wonderful holiday season!

    ♥ Daniëlle

    ReplyDelete