Friday, February 25, 2011

Couque- Rye Honey Cake



Dale Carnegie (American lecturer, author, 1888-1955)





Something quick ...french of course. A simple cake that is spicy, sturdy and dense. I could keep this wrapped up tight for a picnic with no fear of it breaking apart. Like a gingerbread, but not quite..LOL..and I love all spice cakes:)



From About.com...
 
Still made in many regions of France, this rye honey cake recipe is referred to as couque in rural areas. This is the very rustic and traditional version of the recipe that you are likely to come across in small inns and out-of-the-way taverns. Easy to prepare, this honey cake recipe makes 12 servings; it is perfect for entertaining. Enjoy it slowly, with a small cup of café. 

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup rye flour
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon orange zest
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon anise seeds, crushed (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 2/3 cup honey
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup light vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup water

Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease an 8-inch by 8-inch baking pan and set it aside.
Stir together the dry ingredients, and then add the honey, eggs, oil, and water. Mix the batter until the ingredients are incorporated, but not overmixed, about 2 minutes. Pour the honey batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, until the cake tests done 1/2-inch from the center.
Cool the honey cake for 10 minutes in the pan and then transfer to a wire rack to cool complete.


"Amuse-toi bien"


3 comments:

  1. Je suis très amusée--rye flour pour un gâteau?! I love spice cake, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe sounds interesting. I'm giving it a try, then I'm giving it a chocolate coat and I'm sure it is going to be just like "Pão de Mel" that I love so much! I'm sure homemade is going to be so much better! I think I have everything I need...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lauren :)

    Renata- thanks.. I will be looking foward to reading all about Pao de Mel ..I have never heard of it :)

    ReplyDelete