Sunday, January 16, 2011

Rehrücken Lamington (Reinventing the Lamington 2011 ) -COMPLETE

It isn't what they say about you, it's what they whisper.


He is sooo HOT! 


It is that time of the year. One of my favorite blogs to read DeliciousDeliciousDelicious
( by the infamous Mr. P) has once again posted the challenge for re-inventing the Australian dessert known as a Lamington. My Lamington is based on a cake from Vienna known as a Rehrücken. The Rehrücken is traditionally part of the Austrian confection of pastry, like Sacher Torte. A cake named after, and made to look like a tenderloin of venison! :) 




Flynn as Robin Hood- one of my favorite movies of all time.  I do not know if Flynn has ever eaten a Lamington,  BUT  he does kill some venison in this movie. ( Yeah, i know....it is a stretch)  I could not resist .....He is adorable.



 
 Here is the picture of the real deal.
It requires a special mold . I have to thank  Joe Pastry.
I first saw this monster on his blog:)




My Re-Invented Lamingtons


Voila!




My 1/2 round molds


 chocolate nut sponge cake

cored out and filled with raspberry jam



"glued" with  raspberry jam to form a sphere



Covered with a chocolate/hazelnut glaze, studded with almonds


Cut open it looks like an Alien looking at me

Chocolate/Nut Sponge

Cake Ingredients 
6 eggs, separated
6 tablespoons sugar
1 vanilla sugar or half a vanilla bean scraped 

Juice of half a lemon
2 slightly heaping tablespoons cocoa
2 heaped tablespoons ground hazelnuts
2 heaped tbsp grated almonds 

2 heaping tablespoons of grated chocolate
3 heaped tablespoons of flour, plain
1 teaspoon baking powder

Raspberry Jam  filling
4-5 tablespoons happening, hot apricot jam  First glaze
100 g butter ,120 g couverture  chocolate, 1/3 cup nutella -- Last chocolate glaze
 Slivered Almonds 


 Directions for Cake 

Prepare 1/2 round mold. Coat with butter and sprinkle with sugar.
Pre=heat oven to 200 degrees C.


Beat egg yolks, sugar, vanilla sugar and lemon juice until thick and fluffy.
Beat egg whites until stiff., Reserve.
Sift nuts, ground chocolate  flour, cocoa and baking powder together. 
Beat into egg/sugar mixture  until well blended.
Fold in Egg whites.
Spoon mixture to fill 3/4 of molds. Bake @ 5 mins until puffed and set. Cool UPSIDE DOWN  in molds. Make Lamingtons.

18 comments:

  1. You have really piqued my interest ... they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am - literally - so excited that I might just pass out. They look like spikey little bombs, and I want to eat them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks B-ville Girl and Mr.P.:) I really have fun doing this challenge! Muhahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks interesting, I am intrigued. You creative people are putting my idea to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :o I NEED to know what's in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are amazing! I didn't realise they were filled spheres. People will have to work hard to top this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely fantastic!!!! Love the filled balls. Errol was pretty cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Mr. P... I will collect my prize any day now:)


    Cake Law ..Merci Merci! Yeah, i never new Flynn was Australian! LOOL . I have always liked him( and no i am not THAT OLD)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look so great. I will have to get one of those half sphere pans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm...delicious. The Lamingtons look pretty tasty, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel like I could put my eye out with those things; they looks fantastic! I really like how on top of everything else, they have filling too. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are amazing! I love lamingtons, but I never get organized enough to bake anything for Australia Day. I bet these were fantastic with the raspberry jam inside--they remind me of porcupines. Okay, enough surfing your site, I have a DB post to come up with!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing!! Love the last picture & the way you constructed these!
    Stopped by to thank you for hosting the excellent challenge this month Asthe! Best I've done in months, and a fabulous learning curve. Merci!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never heard of Rehrücken. I'm heading over to Vienna this summer. I'm definitely going to look for it. But first, I'm going to try these. They look totally fun. And tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thannks Katren, Mary, and Mary, Deeba and Curtis,,...

    Curtis..I just bought small dessert book about Vienna pastries and to my surprise i found another version to make.:) I hope you blog about your trip.I have always wanted to go..and eat! Amazing pastry and cafe' :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look great! Love love love the pan...did you get that here in ATL? Wait, I may not want to know because I will veer off my baking purchases ban. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Connie and Chris!

    No Chris..ebay purchase! and i find a lot of great things at good will. But, like you i need to quit.I am running out of room :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on your winning entry! Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete