Sunday, April 10, 2011

Mojito Poundcake





Neglect- not a pretty sounding word. I actually got suspended from work for three days for using it. When you work in a nursing home the administrator can get pretty pissed off at you, when you think a resident has been neglected. ALL kinds of bells and whistles goo off. A LTC facility could be fined huge $$$ amounts if that claim could be justified.  Could also lose the ability to admit more residents. All kinds of reprimands . It was ugly, (but I was right). Even if she was too big a bitch to see it. 

We are not talking neglect to that magnitude. I am only speaking about NEGLECT..of my poor lonely blog. Yes, "ACCRO", is not making me feel..so happy these days. I have had no desire to bake. No desire to photograph. No desire to share. It is ugly. I am a big enough bitch to see it. 




With my mood being so "HO-HUM" I just decided to throw something together quickly. For some reason I am fixated on the  Mojito. . I Googled ...and found THE most complex recipe  by Warren Brown, of Cake Love. ..BUT WOW....THAT recipe was an all day project! I bet it is super yummy...but did I tell you how "HO HUM" I  feel? I decided to whip up something easier, with no ITALIAN Meringue! SHEEEEESH! . So the easiest cake ever, is your classic pound cake. Thank me later.




Mojito Pound cake


Ingredients

3 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 /2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of ground cloves
2 cups white sugar
1/4 cup demerara sugar ( and more for sprinkling)
4 whole large eggs
2 sticks unsalted butter-or 1 cup
1 lime zest ed
juice of one lime
3 Tablespoons light rum
2-3 Tablespoons fresh mint leaves dried and crumbled. ( I think fresh may be better?)
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoon milk ( optional)


Proceedure
Pre heat oven to 350 degree F.  PAM coat spray a 10 inch tube pan. Sprinkle extra demerara sugar to coat inside of pan. 

Cream butter and both sugars together until light and fluffy
Add eggs one at a time and blend until combined
Sift  flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cloves, mint, . -reserve.
Mix sour cream, rum, lime juice, and zest together. -reserve.
After eggs are mixed. Alternate dry ingredients and wet ingredients in thirds to egg batter, ending with dry.

Pour into prepared pan and bake Approx 40 to 50 mins until tester comes out clean.



The OUTCOME??

The taste and texture are lovely. The demerara sugar I added to the tube pan  give you that nice crunchy sugar cane feel .

However, the Mojito.flavor was not as strong as I liked so next time I will double the amounts of lime, rum, and mint. Right now I would call it Mojito-LITE
Or consider a glaze drizzled over the top...or a sugar syrup soaked in when the cake is hot. 


I will definably perfect this recipe....another day..but I feel this is a fantastic start.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the situation at work, hope things get better! (And you are not a b***h!)

    As for the cake, I love mojitos, so I'm quite sure I would love this! Maybe if you want more mojito flavor you could make a lime based glaze or a mint simple syrup, or both! And then just drink a shot of rum to go with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL..Thanks Connie..that was a long time ago at work..so i am over it I thought about the glaze and the syrups.. Maybe you should do a test run for me?? LOL or when i have time..i will test it again. It seems i never perfect anything. One day when i have a bakery to play in :)..or someone offers me a cookbook deal :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pound cake looks gorgeous, and I'm glad you baked! It might not be perfect in your eyes, but someone out there reading your blog will prefer the slightness of mojito and this may possibly perfect for them! So ho-hum, look on the bright side of that flip coin!! :-)

    Also, I finally made the nut-free Joconde Imprime, check out the post here

    http://whiskwhiskwhisk.blogspot.com/2011/04/biscuit-joconde-imprime-with-double.html

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry, the HO-HUM will pass. And you will find yourself energized to go baking :-)

    Well, this quick pound cake is definitely pretty and yummy, don't see anything HO-HUM about it...

    ReplyDelete