Friday, January 7, 2011

Candied Kumquat Mini Cakes

Ralph: Come on, Colton! Where's the jewel?
Jewel: Ralph, I am the Jewel. The Jewel of the Nile.
Ralph: Yeah, and I'm a kumquat from Queens! Pipe down, towel-head!
The Jewel of the Nile





Kumquats. Just the name it self makes you laugh . I have never eaten one, nor baked with one. They are an autumn /winter fruit, and I see them everywhere right now in our grocery. Soo why not give them a try? They are a very tart citrus, Think orange , but tarter. Plus, they are very small. The size of an olive. Most of the recipes I have read suggest you candy them first. The added sugar cuts down the tartness, and you can easily remove the tiny seeds. Which I will tell you, was not so fun.


 

Kumquats or cumquats are a group of small fruit-bearing trees in the flowering plant family Rutaceae, either forming the genus Fortunella, or placed within Citrus sensu lato. The edible fruit closely resembles that of the orange (Citrus sinensis), but is much smaller and ovular, being approximately the size and shape of an olive. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumquat


Ingredients

3 large eggs
1 cup sugar and ( xtra for molds)
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup mild flavor oil ( canola or safflower)
one citrus fruit-zested ( I used  a Satsuma)  , clementine, orange, tangerine
1 cup All-purpose flour
3/4 cup Almond flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh ginger - minced
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/3 cup of candied kumquats  -http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/candied_kumquats/

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter and sugar molds. ( Sugaring the molds made the cake rise like a souffle) See below

Sift dry ingredients-  AP flour,  almond flour,  salt,  baking powder and baking soda, and ground ginger  Reserve.

Beat eggs and  1 cup sugar on high speed  until light and fluffy, pale, and  ribbons of batter form.  Slowly drizzle in oil beating on medium speed, until incorporated.

Add zest and fresh ginger to milk.

Alternate adding dry ingredients to egg/oil batter ,then milk mixture . Add in three steps , ending with dry.

Add candied kumquats. Beat a few more seconds until just incorporated.


Pour batter into prepared molds. I used eight small vintage jello molds ( see below) , Bake until cakes have risen, springs back when touched and cake tester comes out clean. . Time will vary based on size of molds.

Remove from oven, cool on racks, and invert to completely cool.



a little souffle cake

 
3 in width by 2 in height
Options: 
  • sprinkle with chopped candied kumquats
  • drizzle reduced  kumquat syrup




I am more than pleased with the results. They are very moist with a strong citrus and ginger flavor. I love how they rose like a souffle, to keep a perfectly flat bottom for serving.

Vintage aluminum jello molds- I just love them for making petite gâteaux! or in chinese cake is "dan goa"

3 comments:

  1. I love that mold, makes it special. Nice flavors too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do a great deal of cooking, but I've never made anything with kumquats. I'm so glad I found your most interesting blog. Now I have recipes I can use to try them. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find kumquats a really funny word too! I remember once I was in a car, we got cut off, and the driver yelled at the other driver, calling him a kumquat. All I could do was laugh, and even though my friend was angry about being cut off eventually he saw the humour too.
    :)
    I like eating them plain, as I love the peel and the tartness. Just don't make me say it...

    ReplyDelete