Friday, August 6, 2010

Instant Sandwich Bread - The Modern Baker

"Good bread is the great need in poor homes, and oftentimes the best appreciated luxury in the homes of the very rich."
'A Book for A Cook', The Pillsbury Co. (1905)
 
I have not posted a recipe in a while. Believe me it is not from lack of trying. I have been baking. However, my miserable failures this week have left me a little ...underwhelmed . 

I also have thrown my hat into the "Jamming" ring.  Yes, all those unused bits of fruit are now turning themselves into beautiful, jams, jellies, marmalade and syrups. This process has also distracted me from my daily sweets. 

But today I have for you... "My daily bread" 

The original directions called for using a food processor. However, my comrade GAARP of Cabbages and King Cakes   has reported difficulty with this process. I added my adaptations in the directions. Thanks for the "heads UP"!




 Half sheet bread 


Instant Sandwich Bread 
adapted from Nick Malgieri's "the Modern Baker"

Ingredients

5 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoon course sea salt
2 teaspoons sugar
5 Tablespoons unsalted Butter
2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast( 1 packet) 
2 1/2 cups warm water @ 110 degrees 

Directions:

Butter/ parchment a very flat 1/2 sheet pan. 12 by 18 inches. ( I did not use  parchment) 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F 

Combine flour, salt and sugar in a bowl with a paddle attachment . Mix for several seconds until blended. 

Add butter and blend again until butter is incorporated into flour is looks like course meal crumbs.

Whisk yeast into warm water until dissolved.  Pour slowly into flour mixture while mixing on low speed. Mix until water in incorporated. Do not over mix. Let dough rest for 10 minutes.

Change beater blade to dough hook on mixer. Mix dough @ 1 min until it comes together in ball ( or somewhat ball) 

Use a bench scraper to turn out dough into  another  lightly greased bowl. Cover with cling wrap and let sit for 30 minutes. It should begin to rise.

After 30 minutes, pour dough into buttered 1/2 sheet pan and work dough to the sides like you are pressing out pizza dough to fill the pan.  Try to press it as evenly as possible. 


Cover with a cling wrap sprayed with non-stick spray , and rest for 1 hr. 

Bake  @ 25 minutes. OPTION:  Halfway thru baking @ 15 minutes, remove bread/parchment from pan and continue baking on oven racks to increase crust on bottom of bread. Bread should be firm and holding shape prior to doing this. I did not steam it, but next time I will.


3 stacked slices



moist crumb


This bread is quick, with little kneading and little rise time. It has a soft interior and a soft crust. Easy to slice in squares. I see using it on a press, or wrapped quickly for a picnic. The bread is thick enough to absorb some nice condiments into the bread, or HOW ABOUT SOME JAM!  If you are new to bread baking this is a good one to start with .


grapefruit marmalade


AND YES! that is my homemade Red Grapefruit marmalade. Thanks for asking! ...coming to a post near you...soon.


EAT, LOVE, PRAY !


3 comments:

  1. Nice job! I like how you adapted Nick's recipe. Looks like you found a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks GAAARP!! I like that it is easy . Freezing some. Will see how it holds up

    ReplyDelete