Monday, April 19, 2010

SCRAP TART- Almond Peach -Plumb Tart

"I remember his showing me how to eat a peach by building a little white mountain of sugar and then dipping the peach into it." “I am putting real plums into an imaginary cake.”

Mary McCarthy quotes (American novelist and critic,1912-1989)


A trip to the grocery store before breakfast is a dangerous habit. I buy everything that I crave. I buy everything i need to keep my baking pantry stocked. I know you all know what i am speaking about- a well stocked pantry is a beautiful thing!

However, an overstocked freezer is not. I can only jam so many left over scraps of dough, cake, crumbs, and nuts into so many cubic feet.


Hmmmm...could i possibly use my scraps for my own cookies? No, wasn't feeling it. Cake?...No...i had too much fruit...A TART! WHY..YES!!!



My french tart tins<3>


So out of my freezer i dug out----> One frozen bag of peaches (12-16 oz), 3 plums-2 red, one black. Slivered almonds, and some vanilla cupcakes.

The peaches had so much freezer burn, i began to question how long there were in cold storage. So i opened the bag and went right to work :)

Placed peaches and sliced plums on stove top with approx 3/4 cup sugar, and let them cook down and thicken.

Vanilla cupcakes became my tart dough. ( Yes, I said vanilla cupcakes) I blended them into crumbs and pressed them into a nine inch tart pan. Baked at 350 for 10 mins..slightly brown.



Cooked and cooled crust with thickened fruit

Once dough was set, and fruit cooled. I mixed my binder.

*1/4 cup white sugar
*1 large egg
*1/2 cup heavy cream
*1/4 t almond extract
*3/4 t vanilla extract

Whisk all ingredients. Remove crust from oven & spread plums & peaches on top. Pour cream mixture over fruit.



Baked

Crumble top

* 1 cup brown sugar
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup butter, diced
* 1/2 cup slivered almonds
* Dash of cinnamon

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, mix together the sugar and flour. Mix in butter with a fork or stand mixer just until the topping is crumbly. Top your tart before baking.


Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown, and set.





MIAM! MIAM!


or if you like.....


Peach -Plum Crumble Tart

  • 1/4 c Brown sugar
  • 1/2 c Granulated sugar
  • 1/2 Stick butter
  • 1/2 c All purpose flour
  • 1/2 ts Ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 ts Baking powder
  • 1 Egg
  • 1/2 c Heavy cream
  • 1 t almond extract
  • 3/4 lb Plums
  • 3/4 lb Peaches
  • Whipped topping and almonds

Preperation

Preheat oven to 350. Mix together brown & white sugar & salt. Cut in butter until it resembles coarse meal. Stir in flour. Divide mixture in half. Set one half aside. To other half add cinnamon, baking powder & 1 egg. Blend well. Press into bottom of 9 tart pan. Bake 5 minutes. While crust is baking, whisk together remaining 1/4 cup sugar & egg, cream & almond extract remove crust from oven & spread plums & peaches on top. Pour cream mixture over fruit. Sprinkle with reserved half of butter-flour mixture. Sprinkle with more brown sugar if you want. Bake until crumb topping is browned, about 15 minutes. In microwave: 12-14 minutes. Serve warm with whipped topping & almonds. Approximately 12-20 minutes. Per serving: 1642 Calories; 57g Fat (30% calories from fat); 19g Protein; 277g Carbohydrate; 359mg Cholesterol; 271mg Sodium By Patty on Nov 9, 1998. Recipe by: FOOD IN A FLASH SHOW #FF2017 Converted by MM_Buster v2.0l.


or........


http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/plum-tart-recipe2/index.html

Ingrediants

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), diced
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 pounds firm, ripe Italian prune plums, pitted and quartered lengthwise

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine the flour, walnuts, and sugar in a large bowl. Add the butter and the egg yolk. Mix, either by hand or with an electric mixer, until crumbly.

Press 1 1/2 cups of the crumb mixture in an even layer into the bottom of a 9 1/2-inch springform or tart pan. Arrange the plums in the pan, skin side down, to form a flower pattern; begin at the outside and work your way in.

Sprinkle the rest of the crumb mixture evenly over the plums. Bake the tart for 40 to 50 minutes, or until it's lightly browned and the plum juices are bubbling. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and transfer the tart to a flat plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.


I hope you all like my back round on my blog...I must give credit :)




1 comment:

  1. OMG! That looks heavenly... And, using cupcakes for the crust is very creative... Interesting, too!
    I just found your blog via my feedjit and it was nice finding you!
    I LOVEEEEEEE baking, too.... I love that melon jello mold.. WOW!!
    Take care,
    Leesa

    ReplyDelete