Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Triple Crown Gingerbread Cake

"And I had but one penny in the world. Thou should’st have it to buy gingerbread."
– William Shakespeare, Love’s Labours Lost


Cravings...

Boy! was i having one. After reading an article about Gingerbread cake from this weeks AJC in ATLANTA. I wanted something hot and spicy. Something to burn my tongue, but i did not want to sweat! It is a recipe from King Aurthur flour, posted on their webby.

I baked this recipe with changes below in RED.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gingerbread-recipe


  • 2 1/4 cups King Arthur white whole wheat flour, or 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon each cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon and nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  • 3/4 cup molasses
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup diced crystallized ginger (optional) I did add this!
  • 1 T of fresh grated ginger

Directions

1) Grease and flour a 9" square pan. Preheat the oven to 350°F.

2) In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.

3) Melt the butter in a heatproof measuring cup. Add the molasses to the cup, and pour into the dry ingredients in the bowl, mixing to moisten.

4) Add the water, stirring until everything is moistened. Whisk together the egg and buttermilk. Stir into the batter until it's evenly combined. Stir in the crystallized ginger.

5) Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the cake just begins to pull away from the edge of the pan.

6) Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 15 minutes before slicing; gingerbread is best served warm with whipped cream



I also wanted to make single serve cakes, and had bought these retro jello molds on EBAY! SOOOOOOO cute, and easy to use.





I call this cake Triple Crown because of all three types of ginger being used. ( nothing new, very popular) I also wonder how it would have tasted with a dash, of Chinese five spice powder? ......another experiment

My cakes were terrific! Very Molasses-y?..so I think next time i will bake the ""Hot and Sweet"" which i found after i baked this recipe.:)

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/hot-and-sweet-gingerbread-recipe




bonne nuit!

6 comments:

  1. This looks awesome!

    I tried to email you and can't get it to go through. We'd love to have you join Chocolate With Francois. The details are on the site but if you have any questions, let me know.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 spice in a dessert sounds amazing! you must do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Sweet i have a recipe for a 5 spice cake, but can't find it :(... so i will be working one it. Among all the other stuff i am behind on posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the molds, they are adorable! Ill have to put this recipe in my to dos - my daughter loves gingerbread! This would make a great Easter surprise for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @one..thank you-- I bought them off ebay! It its a yummy recipe..look foward to reading about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. man these look absolutely delicious! I will certainly need to try them!

    ReplyDelete