Sunday, February 7, 2010

Nutella Pancake Bread Pudding ( World Nutella Day)

"I'm horrified,' he begins slowly 'after reading a press release from a hotel in Scotland that went public in announcing the fact that they're doing a deep-fried sandwich full of Nutella. I mean, Christ! Seventy-five per cent of my staff are French. They look at me like I'm some sort of twat that my Scottish brothers are launching two slices of bread with a fucking inch of Nutella between them, battered and deep fat fried. Now what the fuck is this country coming to? What are we doing to ourselves? That has to be abolished. Here we are, progressing tenfold, buying the right bread, real croissants, we're making fresh muesli and we understand what a great cup of coffee is. And then some idiot brings out a deep-fried chocolate sandwich. I want to find the bastard that put that idea together. I've got the most amazing charcoal grill in my new kitchen. I'm going to sit his butt on it and criss-cross my name on his bloody arse cheeks to remind him. Every time he wakes up in the morning he can gawp at his arse. Is he fucking stupid? When these things hit France, the French just have a field day laughing at us. So I'm looking for that scumbag. I'm going to fucking grill his arse. Brand him with a hot iron like a little calf or a lamb. I'm going to put Ramsayfied on his butt, so every time he wakes up in the morning, he thinks 'Fuck! I shouldn't have done that!''
Gordon Ramsay



Here is a recipe i pulled together at 5:30 this am. I could not sleep. I was dying to make something for WORLD Nutella Day. http://www.nutelladay.com/ However, was feeling lazy.

I had an enormous amount of buttermilk pancakes left over from yesterday's breakfast. HMMMMM.. has anyone ever tried to make bread pudding using a pancake instead of using bread? Sooo..i surfed...

I found some recipes using crepes, waffles, stuffed french toast,... but not American pancakes. Soo i went for it.




Recipe

9 Pancakes@ 3 inches in size
2-3 T Nutella
2 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup chopped chocolate (your choice)


I used a small rectangular Pyrex dish. Sprayed with non-stick spray. Layered pancakes 3 in a row over lapping. Sprinkled chocolate between each layer.

Heated milk in sauce pan and whisked in 3T NUTELLA . Beat eggs. Temper milk into eggs and whisk til blended. Pour over pancakes, making sure liquid is in between pancake layers.

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 mins, then i turned down heat to 350 and baked @ 10 min longer. (Until all liquid is absorbed) . I was unsure about this temperature and baking time.




I love the layered look at the finish!

The pancakes absorbed the liquid better than i anticipated. I did use too much chocolate and lost the Hazelnut flavor. In a re-do i would not use any chocolate and spread the Nutella on the pancake layers. A few more trial and errors and i am sure i would be on to something interesting for breakfast. Like an American Topfenpalatschinken ?....when i am not feeling so lazy.

I hope someone can take this a step foward, something more original....as long as it inspires some thinking :)

Bonne Journée!

No comments:

Post a Comment